Google Docs is one of the most popular online word processors that arrives with many features and flexibility. However, one thing it lacks is the option to password-protect your documents. This can be a problem if you are working on sensitive or confidential information that you don’t want anyone else to access.
Fortunately, there are some workarounds that let you add a password to your Google Docs. Keep reading to find out!
The first method to password-protect your Google Doc is by using MS Word. Here’s how:
1. Open the Google Doc that you want to password-protect.
2. Click File > Download > Microsoft Word (.docx).
3. Once the document has been downloaded, open it in MS Word. Then Go to File > Info.
4. Click “Protect Document” under Info and select “Encrypt with Password.”
5. Enter a password and click OK. Make sure to choose a password that you won’t forget!
6. Re-enter the password and click OK. Once you do so, the file will be password protected. Save (CTRL+S) and close the file.
Now you can upload the password-protected document back to Google Docs. To do this, follow the below steps:
1. Go to your Google Drive and click the “+ New” button.
2. Select “File Upload”. Then choose and upload the password-protected document from your computer.
3. Once it’s been uploaded, you will be prompted to enter the password to view the document.
That’s it! Your Google Doc is now password-protected, and you can now share it with peace of mind.
Sometimes you might not have the MS Word program installed on your computer. If that’s the case, you can use a third-party Google Workspace app called Password Protect for Google Documents. Here is how to use it:
1. Go to the Password Protect for Google Documents listing in the Google Workspace Marketplace.
2. Click “Install.” Follow the on-screen instructions to install the app. (Make sure to grant all the permissions).
3. Once it’s been installed, open Google Drive and left-click on the document that you want to password-protect. Then select “Open with” > “Password Protect for Google Docs”.
4. Once after uploading the file, you will be moved to a new window. Now enter a password you want to use and click “Create Password Protected Document.”
That’s it! Your Google Doc is now password-protected and will be saved as a new PDF document in the Google drive. You will need to enter the password to open it.
You can also use this app to password-protect Google Sheets and Slides. The process is similar to what we just did for Google Docs.
There you have it! Those are two methods that you can use to password-protect your Google Docs. If you want an easy and straightforward solution, we recommend using the first method. However, if you don’t have MS Word installed on your computer, then go for the second method.
Do you know any other methods to password-protect Google Docs? Let us know in the comments below!