Google Sheets is becoming increasingly popular as a way to share organized information online. While the service is free and easy to use, it lacks some of the security features of paid-for alternatives such as Microsoft Excel. If you’re looking to keep your Google Sheets more secure, you may be wondering if there’s a way to password-protect them. Luckily, there is! Keep reading to find out!
If you have Microsoft Excel installed on your computer, you can use it to password-protect your Google Sheets. Here is how to do that:
1. Open the Google Sheet file and go to File > Download > Microsoft Excel (.xlsx). This will download the file to your computer as a .xlsx file.
2. Open the file in Excel and go to File > Info. Click on the “Protect Document” button and then select “Encrypt With Password.”
3. Enter a password of your choice and click OK.
4. Save the file and close Excel. Upload the file back to Google Drive by going to File > Upload from your Google Drive account.
That’s it! Your Google Sheet is now password-protected. You can send the new file to anyone you want, and they will need to enter the password you chose to view or edit it.
If you don’t have MS Office to carry out the steps above, consider using Password Protect for Google Documents Google Workspace app. This app allows users to password-protect their files so that only authorized individuals can access them.
1. Go to Password Protect for Google Documents page on Workspace Marketplace.
2. To install the program, press the “Install” button and follow the on-screen guide. You may need to provide several permissions to use the program.
3. Now go to Google Drive and left-click on the Google Sheets you want password-protect. Then select “Open with” > “Password Protect for Google Docs”.
4. After doing so, the GSheets file should be uploaded to the third-party app and ready to be password-protected. Click “Create Password Protected Document” and enter a password to continue.
Done! Your file is now password-protected and will be saved as a PDF file in your Gdrive. You will require the password to open it.
If you have sensitive information in your Google Slides presentation, it’s a good idea to password-protect it to prevent unauthorized access. As you see, there are many ways to password-protect your Google Slides. Depending on your needs, you can use any of the above-mentioned methods.