Yes, Microsoft Teams offers a free version which you can utilize to stay connected with friends and family. However, it comes with certain limitations compared to the paid version.
Update: Some sources are flagging that Microsoft is due to remove the free version of their Teams app on April 12.
Microsoft Teams is a collaborative communication platform developed by Microsoft and an alternative to Google Meet and Zoom that enables remote teams to work together seamlessly. With its array of features, including video conferencing, chat, and file sharing, it has become a popular choice for businesses, educational institutions, and individuals.
One of the most common questions asked by people who are exploring Microsoft Teams is whether it is free or not. Let’s find out the answer.
More About the Microsoft Teams Free Version
Microsoft Teams Free version is designed to provide users with essential collaboration and communication features at no cost. While it’s primarily for family and friends, small organizations or teams can utilize it to optimize their workflow. Some of the included features are:
- Unlimited chat messages: The free version of Microsoft Teams offers unlimited chat messages among its members. This enables teams to stay connected and collaborate in real time without any restrictions.
- 10 GB of shared storage: The free version provides 10 GB of shared storage across the application. This allows teams to store and share files without worrying about storage limitations.
- Audio and video calls: Microsoft Teams offers audio and video calls (up to 60 minutes at a time) among its members, enabling remote teams to stay connected and collaborate face-to-face.
- Real-time collaboration using Office apps: The free version of Microsoft Teams allows users to collaborate on Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents in real-time.
- Screen-sharing capabilities: The free version of Teams offers screen-sharing capabilities, making it easy for teams to collaborate and present their work to others.
Despite its range of features, the free version of Microsoft Teams has certain limitations compared to its paid counterparts. These limitations include reduced file storage, the absence of advanced administration tools, and restricted video conferencing capabilities.
Additionally, free users may have limited customer support options, with paid members having access to a more comprehensive support experience. Users should weigh the benefits and restrictions of the free version to decide if upgrading to a paid plan is necessary for their specific needs.
Microsoft Team Paid Version Features
The paid version of Teams offers a range of pricing options with a set fee per person. Here are the features of the MS Team premium version:
- All features of the free version: The paid version of Microsoft Teams includes all the features of the free version, such as unlimited chat messages, search capabilities, and audio and video calls.
- Unlimited number of users: The Enterprise plan of the paid version supports an unlimited number of users, making it an excellent option for large businesses.
- 1TB of storage per organization: The premium version of Microsoft Teams offers 1TB of storage per organization, providing ample space for businesses to store and share files.
- Exchange email hosting: The paid version of Teams includes Exchange email hosting, enabling businesses to manage their email communications seamlessly.
- Access to Office 365 services: With the paid version of Teams, users can access a variety of Office 365 services, including OneDrive, SharePoint, and more.
- 24/7 support: Users of the premium version can access 24/7 support for both mobile and web applications, as well as administrative tools.
Overall, the paid version of Microsoft Teams offers businesses access to an extensive range of features and services, making it an excellent choice for organizations of all sizes.
Which Version Should I Choose?
Choosing between the free and paid versions of Microsoft Teams depends on your specific needs and budget. Here are some factors to consider when deciding which version to pick:
- Budget: If you are a small team, have a limited budget or don’t need advanced features, the free version may be sufficient for your needs. However, it may be worth investing in the paid version if you need more advanced and additional features.
- Size of your organization: If you have a larger organization, the paid version will be better, as it offers support for an unlimited number of users and adequate features to accommodate many people.
- Storage needs: If you have extensive storage needs, the paid version may be a better choice, as it offers 1TB of storage per user, compared to the 2GB per user in the free version.
Overall, the decision between the free and paid versions of Microsoft Teams depends on your specific needs and budget. We recommend evaluating your needs and requirements and then choosing the version that best meets those needs.
As discussed above, Microsoft Teams is a communication and collaboration platform that offers both free and paid versions. The free version provides essential features and functionalities for individuals and small teams, while the paid version offers more advanced and exclusive features for businesses of all sizes.
With this information in mind, we hope you can decide which version is best for your needs. Thanks for reading!