MS Word is a versatile program that allows users to create and edit documents. However, occasionally you could get the error message “user does not have access privileges” when attempting to open a document. This error can occur because of a number of reasons, such as if the user does not have the correct permissions to access the file or if the file is corrupted.
Fortunately, there are a few ways to fix this error. Keep reading to find out different ways to solve the error in Microsoft Word.
If you are getting the “user does not have access privileges” error while trying to open a file, it might be because you do not have the required permissions to access the file. To fix this, you will need to update the file permissions. Here is how to do that:
1. Find the docx file that you are trying to open in the File Manager. Right-click on it and select “Properties” from the menu.
2. In the Properties window, go to the “Security” tab. After that, press “Advanced” from the bottom-right corner.
3. Now press “Add” in the new popup.
4. Press “Select a principal”.
5. Now click “Advanced”.
6. In the new interface, press “Find Now”.
7. Select “Authenticated Users” from the given options and then press “OK”. Again, click “OK” on the new popup.
8. Now press “Full Control” to select all the basic permissions. Press “Ok” to save the changes.
Another reason for the “user does not have access privileges” error might occur because there is some sort of corruption in the file. One way to fix this is by removing all properties and personal information from the document. Here is how you can do that:
1. Right-click on the docx file and select “Properties” from the menu.
2. Go to the “Details” tab in the Properties window. Then press the “Remove Properties and Personal Information” link from the bottom of the page.
4. In the new popup, select “Remove the following properties from this file” and then press “Select All”.
5. Press “Ok” to save the changes and remove all properties and personal information from the file.
After completing the steps successfully, try opening the document again. The error should be fixed by now. If it’s still not working, try the next method.
Sometimes the word file’s permission might be set to deny for all users, which can prevent you from accessing the file and show the above error message. Here is how to set the permission to Allow:
1. Right-click on the file name from the File Manager and select “Properties”.
2. Go to Security > Edit.
3. Tick the Allow checkmark for “Full Control”.
4. Click “Apply” and then “Ok” to save the changes.
After following the steps given above, you should be able to open the file without any issues.
If you are still getting the “user does not have access privileges” error, there might be some sort of compatibility issue between the file and Microsoft Word. In this case, you can try opening the file in a different application like Google Docs, OpenOffice or LibreOffice. You might be able to open the file using these alternatives successfully.
If you are still unable to open the document after following the methods provided, there may be a problem with your file. In this case, it is best to consult with an expert or Microsoft support. We hope that our tips have helped you fix the “user does not have access privileges” error in Microsoft Word. Thanks for reading!