If you’re a fan of using Google Docs, you may have noticed that there’s no built-in way to add line numbers to your document. This can be frustrating if you need to reference specific lines in your document or if you simply want to add a bit of structure and organization.
Thankfully, there are workarounds that you can use to add line numbers to your Google Docs document. It’s a bit of a hassle as the processes are manual, but it’s worth it if you need line numbers in your document. Let’s see two different ways to add line numbers in Google Docs.
This is an easy way to add line numbers in your google document if you are working on a new document. Note that this only works when you start with a new document and not when trying to add line numbers to an existing document. Here’s how it works:
1. Create a new Google Docs document.
2. Press the “Numbered list” button from the top toolbar. You can also use the keyboard shortcut for this (CTRL+SHIFT+7)
3. Type out your document as usual. The line numbers will automatically be added as you type.
Once again, this method only works if you’re starting with a new document. If you need to add line numbers to an existing document, keep reading for the next method.
Another way to add line numbers to your document is by using the table function. This is a bit more tedious as you have to add the line numbers manually, but it’s still relatively easy to do. Here’s how:
1. Open up your Google Docs document.
2. Add the text to be numbered in a table.
3. Now, put your cursor on top of the document. Press Insert> Table.
4. In the “Insert table” window that appears, select the 2×2 table.
6. Now, make the first column smaller to have more space for the line numbers like we did on the image. Also, broaden the table a bit on the left.
Ideally, you should have enough space on the first column for the number and adequate space on the second column for the text.
7. Add the text in the second column and add the line number for each line. Your document should now look something like this:
8. That’s it; repeat the process to add more lines and line numbers.
Unfortunately, there is no built-in way to add line numbers in Google Docs. However, the workarounds are relatively easy to do and only take a few minutes. So, the next time you need line numbers in your Google Docs document, use one of the methods above to add them. Do you know of any other ways to add line numbers in Google Docs? Let us know in the comments below!